Ehlers-Danlos mama trying not to twist things up *too* much!

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Still Twisted

Sometime in November, my laptop decided it hated me. As in, I shut it off one night and it decided it just didn't want to work AT ALL the next morning. I just got it back from Dell with no indication as to what was wrong in the first place, but it's working again, so here I am.

(I wish I could have slept through 8 weeks!)

Actually, the "Holiday Season" was fairly pleasant! There's nothing like Christmas with 4 little kids. I had more than a fair share of painful, rotten days in November and December, but they were improved by cuddling on the couch and watching Christmas movies with my kiddos. On the better days, we did all the things we set out to do this year. Cam and Old Boy decorated the house with Christmas lights, we went to a number of events, made cookies, decorate gingerbread houses, got a real tree...Good stuff. This was the first year without Atiyyah that things didn't feel soul-crushing, the first year in this house and hopefully the first of many more good things! Now that Christmas and New Years are over, we're headed into New England's deep mid-winter of frozen gloom, but I'm glad to have the laptop back and to re-connect with my "friends in the box."

I received a Snuggie and slippers for Christmas, so my couch days are now a bit more comfortable. The Snuggie was sort of a gag gift from Cam, but after I let her borrow it one night, she went out and bought one for herself. I would highly recommend it for anyone who's spending as much time on the couch as I am these days. To be fair, there's not a lot to it...it really is just a "blanket with sleeves". And blanket is a bit of an over-exaggeration. It's a single layer of fleece with sleeves and a pocket or two. If I didn't need to spend so much time being horizontal, I could certainly sew one. "I bet I could improve it too!"--bonus points if you can guess my favorite movie from that line, without Google-- But alas, EDS has got me down these days, and I'm thankful for my pre-fab Snuggie.

Other than the couch and the Snuggie...thinking about a few surgeries. Fun, right?! But, seriously, I need an ankle fusion, as my left ankle is a dislocating disaster. I went through a big made-up surgery for it last year, but it showed early signs of failure that have progressed to constant pain despite non-operative treatment. Cam is starting classes with the hope of changing careers and the Puggle has some invasive procedures/surgery ahead, so we're thinking late August 2011, which will give us some time to prepare, get through the Puggle's struggles and for me to be off crutches by next winter.

But for now, I'm more concerned with the day-to-day than with anything 7 months away--major surgery or not. The Poodle is now a walking maniac, the Puggle is becoming more playful, Monster and Old Boy are enjoying snow days and hot chocolate and wintery things while I seriously consider moving to a more temperate climate.

I hope you're all comfortable in your bodies in your life. And to quote the first line of my favorite Christmas letter this year, "I hope this finds you well and if not, that 2011 is a better year for you!"

No comments:

Post a Comment